First of Sunwait

First of Sunwait, a meditation on Fehu with a surprise appearance by Ansuz.

Sunwait is a newish tradition some Heathens are following that welcomes the season of Yule. It begins six weeks prior to Yule and focuses on meditations of the first six letters of the Futhark, one per week. Thursdays have been a popular day to do this, with that day being holy to many of us.  I've chosen Sunday because that's my most relaxed day, and I can focus more fully on the rune during the day and evening.  It's so new though that nothing is set in stone.

From my understanding, this originates from this FB user (though don't quote me on that): Vantjusstaken.  You can find more info at Huginn's Heathen Hof.  Its roots are I believe from the advent tradition (again, don't quote me).  I grew up Protestant, so I didn't have this tradition, but my evangelical grandmother had another one.  We would make a chain of construction paper loops for every day in December up until Christmas.  Each day we would tear off one loop and say a prayer and read bible verses from the nativity story.  Gangerleri's Grove has an interesting post on the power of this tradition here.  Like the author, I ponder on how much deeper the roots of these reawakened traditions really are. 

My setup was quite simple.  I used a handmade tealight as I'm in the testing process of an upcoming business venture.  Some people carve the rune on the candle and say prayers given at the FB site linked above or create their own.  I'm using the ones from Vantjusstaken.  I'm also performing a Run Valdr healing on myself as well as using that system to charge the runes.  I was attuned to Run Valdr by its founder, Rodney Cox, many years ago and have been drawn to using it more and more lately.  After my meditation on Fehu, I looked over at my desk and realized that I inadvertently left a rune out of the bag I was retrieving Fehu from to place on my altar.  It was Ansuz.  I took it as a good omen for my work and my new ventures as well as the prosperity for my community that I prayed for.

Have a blessed Sunwait season.

© Trish Deneen 

 As stated in my About page, it is my understanding that I can post YouTube videos that have enabled embedding. However, if you are a video creator that wants me to remove a video of yours from a post, please leave a comment, and I will do so.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spiritual and Healing Properties of Smoky Quartz

How to Make a Gem Elixir

Walnut - Witchcraft Tree for Fertility Magic, Healing and Transitions